Skip to main content

Packing list

I thought that it would be interesting to take pictures of all of my equipment for the Camino for you guys to see - I know that a lot of people make lists for others but not many show everyone what they take. Please remember I'm not a photographer! I have only ever walked in September and March-May, requirements at other times of the year will be different. 






Sleeping:
Sleeping bag - lightweight but warm (mine's Polish down)
Liner - I have a silk liner for added weight or to sleep in when it's too hot for the sleeping bag
Bed bug sheet and pillowcase - I always think better safe than sorry when it come to  bed bugs
Nightwear - not everyone bothers to take any but if you do take something light


Eating:
Spork - even if you don't intend to do any cooking this is good for sandwich making and eating midday snacks like yogurt
Plate - a small, cheap plastic one
Saucepan - a travel one that will JUST cook enough pasta or rice for two (not all albergues have saucepans)
Cup - a plastic one that folds up


Bag:


Backpack - chosen partially because it will fit in a certain budget airline's hand luggage requirements (and if you buy a bigger bag then you will only be tempted to fill it!)
Rain cover - for the rain that will you encounter somewhere (you don't want to be trying to dry out everything in your bag in an albergue - there are usually few radiators and these will be crowded with people trying to dry the clothes they were walking in)








Clothes:
Fleeces - 2, one that pulls over my head and the other a zip-up that goes on top of the other for any really cold days
Wicking tops - lighter-weight and faster drying than t-shirts and they keep you cool when walking. One of these even has built-in sun protection
Shirts - to cover up with on sunny days (although each time I consider not taking one as I don't think I've ever actually worn it)


Trousers - two pairs so that if one pair does get soaked (or covered in mud) you have a spare
Underwear - two bras and three pairs of pants is what I always take for a one week to over a month Camino (or even a week)


Shoes:
Walking boots - a must!
Socks - three pairs I always think - one pair on, one in your bag and a third pair can still be drying out from the day before

I love my boots so much that they get two pictures - look at the wear on those soles!
'Evening' shoes: a lightweight, comfortable pair - I take crocs and they are perfect, loose enough so that they don't rub blisters and nice and soft for tired feet. Additionally they dry very quickly for wearing in the shower if there's nothing non-slip on the surface


Electrical items:

Some people prefer to walk with nothing electrical items at all but I am not one of them - use your own judgement as to what you want (or need) to take
Electric reader - I have taken a book before but this is lighter and when I finish a book I don't have to worry about where to find another (in a waterproof cover)
'Phone - to keep in touch with home (only ever switched on in the evenings or to take pictures for blogging)
Torch - for early starts and for in the bedroom (not to be shone in other Pilgrim's eyes!)
Camera
Batteries - my old camera needed these but my new one charges from the mains
Charger - luckily one fits my reader and my 'phone!
Adapter - for those weird European sockets 
Music player - I used mine only on the bus and 'plane but a some people like to walk listening to theirs




Emergency items:
A reflective belt/ribbon for my bag - there aren't that many times when you walk along the road but it's always better to be seen
Torch - attaches to the outside of my bag on the back so that I could be seen in the dark mornings when I set off early
Emergency blanket - never actually used this but it's light so I always take it just in case (plus it could be used as a sheet/cover if you ever end up sleeping outside)
Whistle - there is one attached to my bag's chest strap


First aid:


Medication - tablets, inhalers etc.
Hankies - a small pack, more can be bought easily
Alcohol hand wash - very useful for first aid or to wash your hands before your midday snack
Blister plasters - some people don't like using these but I do
Plasters - for those little cuts and scrapes (how many you take is up to your judgment)


Valuables:
Money belt
Money - usually I carry about 200 Euros and top it up when I can (and some money from home for the journey to the airport and back)
Bank card -to get more money!
Credential - VERY important (and in a small bag to keep it dry)
Passport - not just for travel, some albergues want them when you check in
E111 - for healthcare
Health insurance - even though I have the E111 I take this as well
Small phrasebook - because this is invaluable when I'm looking at a menu
Small bag for the evenings


Stationary -
Diary - I advise you to keep one to help you to remember everything and to make observations in
Pen
Envelopes - we would send up to three postcards in one envelope which saved us a fair bit of money!


Toiletries:

Sponge bag - a small one (remember if you take your bag as hand luggage then you will also need a clear bag that seals to take everything through security - check what size before you set off)
Sponge - I cut mine in half to save space
Toiletries - small amounts of all of the usual for security and weight (shampoo, suntan cream, Vaseline, shower gel, toothpaste etc.)
Toothbrush
Hiker's towel - smaller and lighter than a normal one and it dries more quickly too
Comb and hair bobbles etc.
A plastic bag - to keep all of your valuables and or clothes in whilst you shower
Razor - for men (although some men grow impressive beards on the Camino to avoid this)


Other stuff:
Gloves - up those mountains it can be cold!
Hat - for mountains, plains or even just bed
Scarf/buff - to protect your neck from sun or rain
Sun hat - for protection from sun and rain
Dry sack - to keep everything dry inside your bag
Rain coat - (drying out from the wonderful British weather when I took these pictures!)
Guide book - The Way is well marked but these can tell you what the albergues are like and it can be useful to have a map
Walking pole/s - not shown because I don't use these myself but I know that many people say they could not have completed their Camino without them
Ear plugs - another thing I do not use but a lot of people say they couldn't sleep without them
Water bladder - some people prefer bottles but I think these are better as it means that you do not have to keep reaching back in your bag for your water
Safety pins - smaller than clothes pegs with the advantage that they allow you to attach items to your bag securely so that your clothes can dry as you walk

Shell:
Scallop shell, symbol of the Pilgrim

A bit of advice for your packing is that in general less is best; a lot of people take far too much and end up having to dump it or posting it forward to Santiago post office (who will then hold your items for 30 days ready for you to collect, many people have used this option and found that it works well for them but I have never myself done it). I was told before my first Camino to carry no more than 10% of your body weight which may work well for some people but as someone who weighs about 46 kilograms this is impractical – if you want to carry your own backpack all of the way then only carrying 4.6 kilograms is simply not possible in my experience. I carried a bag weighing 6-7.5 kilograms and found this to be a good weight for me. I would say never carry more than 10 kilograms – you don’t need to and your Camino will not be enjoyable for you (plus is you are flying using a certain budget airline anything under 10 kilograms can be counted as hand luggage and so money saved!). With everything it’s worth paying a bit more to cut down on weight.


When packing remember that you’ll be carrying water for your day’s walking and that one litre of water is one kilogram of weight. Added to this you will always carry a snack of some sort – a piece of fruit or a cake maybe and some days you may well have to carry food for the meal that night (say some pasta, sauce and a tin of tuna) all of which will add maybe 1-2 kilograms of weight depending how much food you have.



Okay, I think that's it! If I remember anything else then I'll add it in or if there's anything else that you take then feel free to add it in the comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/