Skip to main content

Camino


I have a seasonal job which allows me a long Easter break in which I go on Camino and means that I earn enough that I can afford to do so but still a part of me was hoping that this term I wouldn’t get any work (the non-financial side of me that is) because my Mum and sister are about to set off on the Camino Portuguese, 117 kilometres from Tui to Santiago, and truthfully I want to be there with them.




Yes I walked this route from Porto in 2014 but that isn’t the same and not just because that was me, Dad and my sister but because every Camino is different – each special and challenging in slightly different ways and so I find myself slightly jealous and slightly sad; yes I am happy for them that they are going but honestly I wish that I could go on this adventure with them, that like Bilbo Baggins in ‘The Hobbit’ I could forget all of my responsibilities and run out the door after them, stuffing clothes and sleeping bag haphazardly into my backpack as I go but I can’t do that so instead I’ll watch them go with joy and jealousy and wait for Facebook updates and e-mails, postcards (hopefully stamped with new sellos) and then share time with them when they return looking at their photos and hearing their tales.

 


Instead of running after them I will think upon next Easter holidays which will hopefully lead me back onto the Camino and new adventures and new members of my extended Camino family.



Yes, I’ve been drawn in even now that my Caminos number just within the double digits I want more of them, think about them in difficult times (and good ones too) no doubt forgetting many of the Caminos’ problems and struggles as I plan ahead (and wear in new boots in anticipation) but honestly there are worse ways to spend your time than on a long walk through Spanish countryside meeting people I would otherwise never cross paths with, eating good food and taking a slower rhythm to life. The Camino is a good experience which doesn’t truly end even once you reach Santiago – even if you are never drawn back to the Camino I think it still leaves people a little changed, maybe even a little wiser.

So ‘Buen Camino’ to all Pilgrims setting out soon – have a great time, I’m only a little bit jealous of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/