Skip to main content

Five questions you get asked on the Camino

After returning from my first Camino in 2009 I did this short talk based around the five questions that you are likely to be asked at least once should you walk the Camino:

1.    Where are you from?

2.    Where did you start?

3.    How much does your bag weigh?

4.    How are your feet doing?

5.    Are you going all of the way to Santiago?


Where I am from is an easy one to answer: Nottingham and that invariably brought up the subject of the man who became a constant companion on my Camino – Robin Hood because I found that never mind where people are from they have heard of him! But I did meet people from all over the world: Spain, Portugal, Canada, Australia, America, Germany, Italy, Holland and there was a feeling of everyone coming together from all over the world for a common cause, all coming together just like the symbol of the Camino the shell which used to be carried by Pilgrims on their way back from Santiago as proof that they had completed their Pilgrimage – the ridges of the shell meet at one point just as Pilgrims from all over the world meet at Santiago.


The where I started was St Jean Pied du Port which is a small town on the French side of the Pyrenees. To get there I had to go by car to Birmingham airport, plane to Biarritz, bus to the train station and then the train to St Jean and then walk to the Pilgrims Office where I got my Pilgrim Credential and this is what you get stamped every night to prove that you are a Pilgrim and have a right to stay in the Pilgrim hostels.

These vary a lot along the route – this first one was in a three-storey house and had three bedrooms in which slept six people and this was actually quite good because the next night I was in a room with almost 200 people! But after walking 27km around a mountain in rain and snow no one minded too much, what we did mind was that the place was not going to open for another two hours so the people that I had been walking with, Bruce from Canada and Katrina from Australia, went and found ourselves some hot chocolate.

That is one aspect of the Camino that I really enjoyed, getting to know people from all over the World and walking with them for a bit and then having them go off. Some people did remain in the same groups for their entire walks but I enjoyed meeting up with different people as I went - I never walked with anyone for more than two days with the exception of Bruce who I walked with for the first two days and then, when I was 20km from Santiago in the pouring rain I stopped to take a picture of a signpost and heard someone shout ‘Rachael!’ and after over four weeks it was Bruce again and I walked with him for the rest of the day.

Other people who stood out were Vanessa who was walking the Camino with her Mother before, like me, she went home to try to find a job and who was being driven up the wall by her Mum mainly by her snoring at night and you do quickly find that the level of a person’s snoring is a good reason to be friends with them or not on the Camino. Then there were Roger and Glenda from Australia who were actually some of the few Christians I found on the Camino and he was, in fact, a Baptist minister. I didn’t spend all of my time walking with English speakers either – one day I spent with a woman from Holland and a man from Italy and we communicated in a mixture of German, French, English and Spanish!


My bag was quite light because it weighed only 6.4kg before food and water but I carried 1 litre of water which was an extra 1kg and then food which tended to be bread, cheese, some pasta and a tin or tuna or sardines and that took me up to maybe 8kg but the average for people tended to be 10kg. To put that into perspective I weigh about 46kg so I was carrying about 20% of my weight but I met two girls from Korea who were the same size as me, if not smaller, and they were each carrying 15kg and this included a laptop computer! It is possible to post items forward to Santiago but the two of them refused to do so.

It’s very easy to actually manage on very little on the Camino – particularly with my generation we are very materialistic and yet out there I did on two changes of clothes that I washed every day by hand, a few toiletries, a book to read, a sleeping bag and very little else. We all did have my luxuries though - a camera and a music player were mine but other people had theirs – quite a few women took make-up, others took several reading books


Feet are a constant concern to every walking Pilgrim because they are your only form of transport and without them you are stuck so you do everything that you can to stop getting blisters. For me this meant wearing two pairs of socks and using zinc oxide tape as well as Vaseline on them but, as some of you may know, this did not entirely work for me because I got a blister that became infected and was stuck 120km from Santiago for a week. But I was lucky in this because I met a group of Germans that included a Doctor who told me to stop walking and sent me to a Spanish Doctor who told me to stop walking. The Germans also booked me into a hostel and here I was very lucky because it was run by a man called Jose and he is the kindest man on the Camino – he kept coming by to check on me and played dominoes with me in his bar for hours. One day there was no one else staying in the hostel so he brought me a hot chocolate and then gave me the key to my bedroom so that I could lock myself in and feel extra safe.

After a week I returned to see a Doctor but this time I was accompanied by a lady from Holland who spoke some Spanish and the Doctor rang up her colleague once or twice to translate a few things and I was told that I could walk again and after that I only had the one blister in a week.


I did indeed intend to walk all of the way to Santiago and managed to do so but for me the destination was not as much fun as they journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Camino Primitivo

The Camino Primitivo (or the Original Way) is reportedly the very first Camino Way to Santiago in the 9 th century when most of Spain was under the control of the Moors and it runs from near the city of Ovideo in Asturias as it starts in Villavicosa (which also lies on the Camino Norte so many people follow this Way from   Basque city of San Sebastian (Donosti in Basque) or in from the French border at Irun ( this route then hugs the Bay of Biscay passing through Guernica, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes before going under the Picos de Europa and then heads along the coast to Ovideo) before branching off onto the Primitivo which goes across the mountains and through the city of Lugo before joining the Frances at Melide. The route is 320km long. Image taken from https://viaalpina2013.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/camino-del-norte-camino-primitivo/

Symbols of the three main Christian Pilgrimages

The symbol of the Pilgrim to Santiago is the Scallop shell  of which many can be found on the coast of Galicia and it is actually a symbol of the Pilgrimage (and has become a symbol of other Christian Pilgrimages too) partly because you could find the shell easily there and so could go back home and show it off as proof that you had done the Pilgrimage. It has also been included in carvings in some Churches.

Camino Mascot

Those who have walked the Camino will probably have seen one or more of the Camino mascots along the Way but do you know their names? http://m.elcorreogallego.es/xacobeo/ecg/xubi-jubila-pelegrin-mascota-xacobea/idEdicion-2010-06-08/idNoticia-555962/